Uganda IBS 20

2 Timothy 2:3-4  Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
Paul writes final words to young Timothy in a very emotional yet authoritive exhortation. Paul saw Timothy as his own child and taught him in all things, especially in the things of God. Paul felt his time was near and missed Timothy for Paul was in prison at this time, even so he felt he needed to give his last words of encouragement and instruction. In a sense this was Paul stepping out for Timothy to step foward to his own calling. We see in relay races the racers hand off the baton to the next racer. For Paul this moment was exactly that, he even says in chapter four of this book "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith". Paul's ministry would now continue with Timothy. So we get to the section where Paul begins to use military terms "soldier", "warreth" and other translation he also uses "enlisted". Which to me personally is very motivative and strongly spoken. "Endure hardness" meaning to withstand afflictions that this world will bring. That standing for Christ is no walk in the park but a battle field and difficult. Just like Paul says in chapter one "Share in sufferings for the gospel" and we all should take that exhortation  upon our own lives! Am I ready like Paul was? Because we're all called and I can't say I walk for Christ and get around that. When I'm called to stand for what I believe in and the situation isn't pretty, will I stand? "As a good soldier of Jesus Christ" a soldier does what pleases the commander. We have been entrusted to share the good news as a good soldier and that's what's deposited upon us. Active duty soldiers don't get entangled in the affairs of this world. Everything we do should be to please Jesus, anything outside of please Him is of this world. Timothy's ministry is the ministry we also have, we are all called to share the gospel not just by teachings or healings but also by example. What do our actions say of us? Our live's are what we lay down for Christ. For my application today I will further my study in second Timothy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uganda IBS 13 - Do we have Idols?

IBS 11 - Faith brings patience

Uganda's Inductive Bilble Studies -1